Friday 16 October 2009

Page design to direct the reader's eye

Visualization is a common theme in Novelvig. Here is a short but clear guidline for page design by Christine Sevilla.

Effective page design maps a viewer's route through information. When designing information, your objective is to lead the viewer's eye directly to your message. Readers of English read from left to right and from the top of the page to the bottom. (The typical page-scanning pattern actually follows a Z). This habit of left-to-right eye movement dominates most design decisions in the West and is the basis for most conventional graphic design of print publications.

1 comment:

  1. "I put up a picture on a wall. Then I forget there is a wall. . . . I no longer know that in my apartment there are walls, or that if there weren't any walls, there would be no apartment. The wall is no longer what delimits and defines the place where I live, that which separates it from the other places where other people live, it is nothing more than a support for the picture. But I also forget the picture, I no longer look at it, I no longer know how to look at it. I have put the picture on the wall so as to forget that there was a wall, but in forgetting the wall, I forget the picture, too."
    Georges Perec, Species of Spaces and Other Pieces

    ReplyDelete